And the addiction continues

So after I had the wonderful nerve-racking experience with dresser for a friend in chalk paint I decided that I was going to do a piece the way I wanted to do it.  I love color so I did some color research on the internet looking for that ooooohhhh aaaaaahhhh style furniture and I found a lovely dresser in what I call a turquoise and red color.  I then went out to the popular clay/chalk based paint suppliers and looked for something very similar in color.  I found the paint colors I wanted to use from the Annie Sloan collection.  I went with Florence (turquoise) and Emperor’s Silk (red).  Just love the names of the colors she has.  I nick-named this project the Emperor of Florence. 

I found my little piece of furniture that was in desperate need of reloving, at a local thrift shop for a good penny.  It was a sound piece of furniture just not pretty.  So I don’t have a real good “Before” picture, but here are a few pictures of it after removing the varnish, gum and all else that was on it. 

  After stripping before painting

Here we have started taping it off to begin painting it. We started with red as the base coat.  I love this red. Yummy red!

Annie Sloan paint seems to lay really well on the piece.  We covered everything from the desk to the interior and exterior of the drawers.  (Drawers are just beyond the desk in this picture).

IMG_0392

IMG_0395

 We let this dry for an hour. Then we changed up the paint to Annie Sloan’s Florence.  Isn’t this just a beautiful color.  It reminds me of Destin Beach Florida with its cool blue ocean water.  Now remember we are applying our paint with a paint sprayer so it is thinned out just a bit so we have applied at least three coats to make sure the red is completely covered.

This is my first time using Annie Sloan Paint so her directions are slightly different.  With hers you paint then apply clear wax and then distress.  I like this technique because it helps keep the dust down from sanding since it is weighted with the wax. So I started hitting the high wear areas of the desk.

IMG_0422

I just love how that red just pops with the turquoise.

I once I get all my areas worn down I apply the dark wax to give it a more aged look. If you have added to much dark wax use more clear wax over it to thin it out.  Once I got it to my liking it was time to buff it out.

Now for the top of the desk I decided to go with a dark stain but not as deep as I did with the side tables.  It is the same stain I just didn’t let it soak as long as I did on the other project.  I really wanted the distressed wear of the top to come out in the stain.

IMG_0433 I put three coats of Satin Polyurethane since it is a high wear top. 

 

Here is the finish product, I hope you love it (or like it) as much as I do.

IMG_0508

IMG_0510

If you would like to see more of the furniture I have done please check me out on Facebook under Flirtin’ with Furniture.

Advertisements

About agritsblog2011

Hi this is Amy at A GRITS BLOG. I am married to a wonderful man, together we have four boys, young men. We live in Alabama and I love being Southern. I have many interests from outdoor activities to painting furniture and designing with vinyl. I craft, sew, organize (well at least I try too), repair things, just a gambet of task really. I believe I can do anything I set my mind too or convince my husband to do. I hope you enjoy many of the topics that I cover and discover.
This entry was posted in DIY - Furniture and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s